Failure to diagnose cancer, whether breast cancer, lung cancer, ovarian cancer, prostate cancer, colorectal cancer, pediatric cancer, lymphoma, melanoma or other cancers can mean the difference between an early diagnosis and successful treatment with greater chance for full recovery to a fatal medical mistake resulting in catastrophic injury and even death. The key to successfully treating cancers is early diagnosis. Unfortunately, avoidable medical mistakes, whether a doctor or hospital staff is at fault, may lead to a delay in diagnosing and treating cancer in its early stages and result in the patient facing potentially life-threatening set backs, enduring more aggressive and painful therapies, further health complications, greater medical expenses, poor prognosis for recovery and, in some cases, even death.
Preventable medical errors that can lead to a delay in diagnosis and treatment of cancer can occur for a number of reasons:
- The physician lacked skill or knowledge to recognize the signs of the disease
- A radiologist may misinterpret or misread the patient’s x-rays or mammograms
- The physician may fail to order appropriate diagnostic tests to detect cancer
- A gynecologist may fail to refer the patient to a specialist for evaluation of a palpable breast mass
- A specialist may not take a proper tissue sample for the biopsy
- A doctor’s office or testing facility may improperly label or handle the specimen or test results
- Failing to biopsy
Contact A Pennsylvania Cancer Attorney Today
If you have been diagnosed with cancer, or if a loved on has been diagnosed with cancer, you have the right to know whether a medical mistake may have led to a delay in the diagnosis or treatment the cancer in its early stages. While not every cancer misdiagnosis is the result of a medical error, a cancer attorney at NOW LAW can help you get the answers you deserve. Contact us at 215-854-6326 for a free consultation. There is never an attorney’s fee unless we recover compensation for you.